Bru Na Boinne
21st of December is the Winter solstice, the shortest day of the year and the astronomical first day of winter. This artwork, titled ‘Brú na Bóinne’ is Inspired by the special event which happens at this time annually in the prehistoric passage tomb in Newgrange, County Meath. The tomb, which is older than Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids, is best known for the illumination of its passage and chamber by the winter solstice sun. The sunlight enters as a narrow beam of light which penetrates the roof-box until it reaches the floor and gradually extending to the rear of the chamber.
The photograph of the tomb in the landscape of the Boyne valley is embellished with the addition of a large golden sun hidden behind the branches of the trees.
Newgrange is a Stone Age passage tomb located in the Boyne Valley, County Meath, Ireland. It was built about 3,200 BC (5,200 years ago) during the Neolithic period, which makes it older than Stonehenge and the Egyptian pyramids.
Above the entrance to the passage of the mound there is a opening called a roof-box. On mornings around the winter solstice a beam of light penetrates the roof-box and travels up the 19m (63ft) passage and into the chamber. As the sun rises higher, the beam widens so that the whole chamber is dramatically illuminated. Coincidentally this time of year falls on my birthday, which is when this photograph was taken.
If you would like this Photograph in another size or printed onto Canvas or Dibond, please get in touch and we can arrange this for you.
- The photographs are printed on Fine Art Matte Hahnemühle Paper.
- Image sizes include a small white border for mounting.
- The Prints are stamped and numbered on the back.
- All photographs are printed using the Giclee print method.
- Prints are 100% archival - meaning the colour will not fade.
- Each photograph is a Limited Edition Print. Once the number of copies stated are sold, this photograph will no longer be for sale.
- Each print comes with a signed, stamped and numbered certificate of authenticity.
Shipping and delivery:
- All Photographs are printed to order.
- Giclee Archival Prints can take up to 5 working days to prepare.
- International Shipping costs will be calculated at the check out.
Prints up to 30x40cm are carefully packaged in a clear archival sleeve are sent in a rigid cardboard envelope using an envelope stiffener to avoid any bending.
Prints larger than 30x40cm are wrapped in archival tissue for protection and are sent in wide 100mm diameter tube.
The prints come packaged together with your signed and dated Certificate of Authenticity. Each print comes with a promotional postcard and a sticky label which can be placed on the back of your framed print or on the front of your fridge to share details of your purchase with family and friends!